- 2 cups (160 g) regular or quick oats
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) ground flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (150 g or 3/4 cup)
- ¼ cup (64 g) almond butter (or any nut/seed butter)
- 1/4 cup (80 g) brown rice syrup (or honey, if not vegan)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 g) mini dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F (176C) and prepare an 8×8 (20cm x 20cm) baking pan by lining it with a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flax, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the mashed banana, nut butter, sweetener, and vanilla, mixing until the ingredients are fully combined and the mixture is smooth. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and stir until everything is fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan, and use a greased spatula or your hands to spread the mixture evenly throughout the pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the top sets and the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the bars cool in the pan for ~15 minutes before using a sharp knife to cut them into individual bars. Store them in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
* To make these PROTEIN granola bars, add 1/2 cup of your favourite protein powder to the dry mix, and an extra 1/4 cup of almond milk to the wet mix.
Keywords: banana bread, chocolate chip, gluten-free, granola bars, healthy, recipe, snack, snack bars, vegan