- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups (170 g) uncooked elbow macaroni*
- 1 cup (130 g) frozen corn
- 1/2 cup (100 g) red split lentils
- 1 cup (240 ml) salsa of choice
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (56 g) shredded cheese**
Optional Toppings: fresh cilantro, diced avocado, guacamole, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, etc.
- Turn Instant Pot to ‘sauté’. Add the oil and let it get hot.
- Add the diced onion and cook until it begins to soften, ~2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bell pepper and sauté for a few more minutes. Stir in the cumin, and chili powder, and cook for another minute.
- Press ‘cancel.’ Add the macaroni, corn, lentils, salsa, and water, stirring well until everything is combined. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it into place, making sure the pressure release valve is in the sealing position. Select ‘pressure cook’ and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Once it’s finished cooking, open the quick release valve to release the pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the cheese, letting it melt. Serve warm and garnish with desired toppings.
* I used gluten-free noodles, but if you don’t need this dish to be gluten-free, use regular macaroni noodles.
** 1/2 cup is mostly just a baseline. Start there, and if you want it cheesier, add more cheese.
Keywords: instant pot, taco, macaroni, cheese, Mexican, gluten-free, vegan, dinner, easy, quick, recipe, healthy