- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt*
- 1 cup (180 g) uncooked basmati rice**
- 1 cup (130 g) frozen corn
- 1 cup (240 ml) salsa of choice
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) water
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
Optional Toppings: fresh cilantro, diced avocado, guacamole, shredded lettuce, shredded cheeze, etc.
- Turn Instant Pot to ‘sauté’. Add the oil and let it heat for about a minute.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until they begin to soften, ~2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and salt, and cook for another 2 minutes. You can lower the ‘sauté’ setting if they begin to brown.
- Press ‘cancel.’ Add the rice, corn, salsa, and water, stirring well until everything is combined. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it into place, making sure the pressure release valve is in the sealing position. Select ‘pressure cook’ and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before opening the quick release valve to release any remaining pressure. Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the beans. Serve warm and garnish with desired toppings.
* You can decrease or omit the salt depending on how salty your salsa and beans are.
** For added protein, replace the rice with 1 cup of uncooked quinoa.
*** If you don’t have an Instant Pot, use the stovetop method mentioned in the post.
Keywords: instant pot, black bean, rice, mexican, gluten-free, vegan, dinner, easy, quick, recipe, healthy