- Make a “flax egg” by adding ground flaxseed and water to a small bowl and letting it sit until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare an 8 x 8 (20 x 20 cm) baking pan by lining it with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a high-speed blender or food processor in the order listed and process on high until the batter becomes smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand if you’re adding them to the brownies.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan, using a spatula to distribute it evenly. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you want to use the chocolate chips as a chocolate topping, place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe dish, and nuke them in 30 second intervals until they’re completely melted. Then, pour the chocolate over the brownies and use a spoon or spatula to spread it around.
- Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Keywords: brownies, chocolate, dairy-free, dessert, flourless, gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, healthy, paleo, snack