- 1 Tbsp (7 g) ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp (45 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (128 g) almond butter*
- 1 medium-size ripe banana (~100 g)
- 1/4 cup (60 g) maple syrup**
- 1/4 cup (20 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp (8 g) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/4 cup (40 g) dairy-free chocolate chips
- Make a “flax egg” by adding ground flaxseed and water to a small bowl and letting it sit until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare an 8 x 8 (20 x 20 cm) baking pan by lining it with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a high-speed blender or food processor in the order listed and process on high until the batter becomes smooth. Alternatively, you can mix the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand if you’re adding them to the brownies.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan, using a spatula to distribute it evenly. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you want to use the chocolate chips as a chocolate topping, place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe dish, and nuke them in 30 second intervals until they’re completely melted. Then, pour the chocolate over the brownies and use a spoon or spatula to spread it around.
- Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
* You can also use a soy nut butter if you need these to be nut-free.
** You can use honey if you don’t need these to be vegan.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Keywords: brownies, chocolate, dairy-free, dessert, flourless, gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, healthy, paleo, snack