- 3/4 cup (90 g) whole wheat flour**
- 2 Tbsp (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 medium ripe banana, mashed (50g or 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup (80 g) brown rice syrup***
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (60 g) vegan chocolate chips
- other half of the banana, cut into small chunks
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, mixing well to ensure that no clumps of flour or cocoa remain. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, brown rice syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and banana chunks, giving everything a final stir before covering the bowl and placing it in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF (163ºC) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. Using a rounded tablespoon, drop the dough onto your prepared baking sheet, and use your fingers to flatten them slightly. The cookies won’t spread too much, so make them roughly the shape you want them to be before baking.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, depending on the final texture that you want. Less baking time will result in a slightly softer and fudgier cookie.
- Remove your cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely. You can press additional chocolate chips into the tops to make them a little more presentable. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
* prep time includes chill time. ** you can make these cookies gluten-free by replacing the whole wheat flour with an all-purpose GF baking flour. If your mix doesn’t have xanthan gum, add 1/4 tsp to the dry ingredients as well. *** you can easily sub this for honey if not strictly vegan.
Keywords: banana, banana cookies, chocolate, chocolate cookies, double chocolate cookies, healthy cookies, nut-free, recipe, refined sugar-free, vegan