- 1/2 cup of dates, pitted (~100g or 6 large dates)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup light canned coconut milk*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk*
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract**
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add dates and hot water to a high-speed blender or food processor. If your dates are a little dry, allow them to soak for 10 – 15 minutes so that they’ll be easier to blend. Otherwise, process until dates have broken down and turned into a smooth paste, scraping down the sides of your blender as necessary.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and continue processing until everything is fully combined and mixture becomes smooth. Adjust peppermint and cocoa to taste.
- Transfer creamer to an airtight container. You can run it through a fine mesh strainer to ensure no bigger pieces of dates remain, but it shouldn’t be necessary with a high-speed blender or food processor. Store in fridge for up to a week. Creamer will thicken as it sits.
* You can play around with the milk quantities depending on how creamy you want your creamer. Use all coconut milk to make it extremely creamy, or all almond milk to make it lighter. If going with the latter, add 1/4 tsp. of xanthan gum to help thicken it up. ** You can add up to 1/2 tsp. of mint extract, depending on how much you want the mint flavour to shine through. Just be careful you don’t add too much, or you’ll end up with a creamer that tastes like toothpaste or mouthwash. Start with 1/4 tsp. and adjust from there.
Keywords: coffee, coffee creamer, dairy-free, gluten-free, healthy, homemade coffee creamer, peppermint mocha, recipe, vegan