For the stuffed sweet potatoes:
- 2 medium sweet potato (~150 g each)
- 1 medium, ripe banana, thinly sliced (about 100 g or 1/2 cup of slices)
- 1 Tbsp. (15 g) dark chocolate chips/chunks
For the banana nut sauce:**
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) nut butter*
- 1/2 medium, ripe banana, mashed (50 g or 1/4 cup mashed)
- splash of almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 400F (205C). Wash and dry your sweet potatoes, and prick them all over with a fork before placing them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and baking for 45 minutes, or until soft and tender. Remove the sweet potatoes from your oven and let them stand for about 10 minutes, or until they’re cool enough to handle.*** Reduce oven temp. to 350F (175C).
- Use a sharp knife to put a deep slice in each sweet potato, cutting lengthwise and making sure not to cut all the way through. You want to create a little “bowl,” so leave enough of the bottom in tact so that it can support your fillings. Use a fork to “fluff up” the flesh.
- Divide the banana slices between the two sweet potatoes, making sure the slices are sitting in there nice and snug, and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the banana slices have caramelized and the chocolate chips are all melty.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by mashing the banana in a small bowl before adding a spoonful of nut butter. Mix until smooth, adding a splash of almond milk to reach your desired consistency.
- When sweet potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before drizzling them with the banana nut sauce and any additional toppings of choice.
* I used a natural almond butter, but feel free to use whichever nut or seed butter is your favourite. ** If you prefer, you can skip the banana in the sauce and just use nut butter. ** You can also do this ahead of time and simply skip to step 2 when you’re ready to enjoy your stuffed sweet potatoes. I like to bake up a big batch so that they’re ready to go when I need them.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Keywords: banana, chocolate, chunky monkey, gluten-free, healthy, recipe, snack, stuffed sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegan