- 1 cup (175 g) chocolate chips of choice*
- 1/2 Tbsp (7 g) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (64 g) almond butter**
- 1/2 medium ripe banana, mashed (50 g or 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- crushed pretzels, salt crystals, sprinkles, etc. for topping
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until the chocolate is fully melted, stirring between each round. Alternatively, you can add the chocolate and coconut oil to a heat-safe bowl placed in a pot of boiling water and melt it that way.
- Line a mini muffin pan with 12 mini paper/silicone liners*** or arrange them on a large plate/pan. Fill each liner with about 1 tsp (5 ml) of melted chocolate, and use a spoon to bring some of the chocolate up the sides of the liners (almost to the top), coating them well to create a cup. Place them in the freezer for about 5 minutes to set.
- While the chocolate is setting, prepare the filling by combining the almond butter, mashed banana, and salt in a small bowl, mixing until smooth.
- Fill each chocolate cup with about 1 tsp (5 ml) of the filling and cover it with the remaining melted chocolate, using the back of a spoon to smooth out the top. Sprinkle with crushed pretzels, salt flakes, sprinkles, or any toppings of choice (if desired), and then freeze for a minimum of 10 minutes to allow everything to set. Store in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for longer periods.***
* make sure to use vegan chocolate chips if you want these to be vegan, and/or gluten-free chocolate chips if you need them to be GF. ** feel free to use any nut butter you have on hand, or replace it with a sunflower or soy nut butter to make this nut free. Just try and use a no-stir variety, as the natural oils could alter the texture of the filling. ** while this recipe was made for mini muffin liners, you could easily adapt it to fit regular ones. Just double the amount of ingredients you spoon into each cup, and/or double the recipe to make 12 regular-sized cups. ***
Keywords: almond butter, banana, banana nut, chocolate, chocolate cups, chunky monkey, gluten-free, healthy, no bake, recipe, vegan