For the bake:
- ¼ cup (20 g) rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) oat bran*
- 2 Tbsp (15 g) flour of choice**
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 medium ripe banana (50 g)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- ½ Tbsp (8 ml) maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) mini vegan chocolate chips
For the banana nut sauce:
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) nut butter***
- other half of the banana
- small splash of almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and lightly spray an individual sized (~16oz./500 ml) ramekin with cooking spray or grease it with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the oats, oat bran, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, roughly mash the banana (some chunks are okay) before adding in the almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough to your greased ramekin and bake for 20 minutes, until the centre has set and the bake has reached your desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by mashing the other half of the banana in the same small bowl you used before before and adding a spoonful of nut butter. Mix until smooth, adding a splash of almond milk to reach your desired consistency. Pour over the bake once it comes out of the oven and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
* If you don’t have any oat bran on hand, just use an additional 2 Tbsp. of oats. ** I usually use an all-purpose or whole wheat, but this recipe works fine with most flours, including gluten-free and grain-free ones. *** I used a natural almond butter, but feel free to use whichever nut or seed butter is your favourite.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: allergies, banana, breakfast, breakfast bake, chocolate, chunky monkey, gluten-free, healthy, nuts, oats, recipe, vegan