For the filling:
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (65 g) frozen corn*
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) salsa of choice**
- 8 – 12 hard or soft taco shells***
- shredded cheese****
- guacamole or diced avocado
- pico de gallo or diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- Add the oil to a medium skillet set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, ~2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash half the beans (~1 can’s worth). Add all the beans along with the corn, spices, salt, and salsa to the skillet, mixing well to ensure that everything is evenly distributed. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- To serve, spoon desired amount of filling into hard or soft taco shells and top with toppings such as: cheese, pico de gallo, diced tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, avocado, shredded lettuce, cilantro, etc. Store any extra in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days and reheat in the microwave before serving.
* You can replace this with 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper.
** The salsa is used mostly to add moisture. If you find the filling too dry for your liking based on the original recipe, add additional salsa.
*** If you need these to be gluten-free, make sure you use corn based taco shells and not wheat ones.
**** To make these vegan, use a non-dairy cheeze.
***** Nutritional info is for filling ONLY.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
Keywords: black bean, tacos, mexican, gluten-free, vegan, dinner, easy, quick, recipe, healthy