For the bread:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (115 g) plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 medium-size, ripe bananas, mashed (200 g or 1 cup)
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) maple syrup*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (60 g) quick oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup (150 g) whole wheat pastry flour**
- 1 cup (85 g) shredded carrots, about 2 medium
For the frosting:
- 4 oz (112 g) low fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup (40 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC), and lightly grease a 9 x 5 (23cm x 13cm) bread pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg just until the yolk breaks apart. Whisk in the yogurt, bananas, maple syrup, and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Stir in the oats, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Spoon in the flour and gently fold it in until just combined. Gently stir in the shredded carrots, taking care not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it out evenly. Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the bread is cool, prepare the frosting by beating the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl. Spread it on top of the cooled cake prior to slicing. Store the bread in a covered container in the fridge for up to 7 days, or freeze it (unfrosted) for up to 3 months.
* You can also use honey.
** You can also use all purpose flour or a mix of 3/4 cup (90 g) all purpose and 1/2 cup (60 g) of whole wheat flour.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
Keywords: banana bread, carrot cake, healthy, recipe, easy, quick bread, snack, Greek yogurt