- 3/4 cup (175 ml) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup (30 g) rolled oats**
- 2 Tbsp (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) chia seeds
- 1/2–1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup, to taste***
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium-size ripe banana, frozen (100 g)
- 2–3 ice cubes (optional)
- The night before, add all the ingredients except for the frozen banana and ice to the bowl of your blender and give it a stir to ensure that everything is well combined. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to eat, add the frozen banana and ice, and blend on high until the oats have fully broken down and a smooth and creamy consistency is reached. If the smoothie is too thick for your liking, add an extra splash of milk. Transfer to a bowl or glass, add desired toppings, and enjoy!
* Cook time refers to chilling time. ** Be sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you need this to be gluten-free. You can also replace the oats with a scoop of your favourite protein powder to make this grain-free and higher in protein. *** You can sub this with whichever liquid sweetener you have on hand OR use a tablespoon of Hershey’s chocolate syrup for even more chocolate flavour.
Keywords: breakfast, frozen hot chocolate, gluten-free, healthy, hot chocolate, smoothie, vegan