- 2 cups (160 g) oats, gluten-free if needed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup (64 g) almond butter
- 1/2 cup (100 g) coconut palm sugar*
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 medium-sized ripe banana (1/2 cup mashed [100 g])
- 1 cup (85 g) carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup (55 g) apple, shredded
- 1/3 cup (55 g) raisins
- 1/3 cup (40 g) walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a muffin pan by lining the cavities with parchment paper liners or greasing them with oil. Set aside.
- Add the oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a high-speed blender and process on high until the oats have broken down into the consistency of a fine flour, about 10 seconds.**
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the carrots, apple, raisins, and walnuts and process on high until the batter becomes smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds. Periodically stop and scrape down the sides/corners of your blender as necessary. Finally, use a spatula to mix in the carrots, apple, raisins, and nuts by hand.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each one about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 28 – 30 minutes, until the tops of the muffins begin to turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. As soon as they’ve cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and store them at room temperature for up to 5 days***, or freeze for up to 3 months.
* You can also use brown sugar or cane sugar.
** Alternatively, you can replace the oats with 1 1/2 cups (160 g) of oat flour and mix everything by hand in a large bowl. Just whisk the dry ingredients together, then add all the remaining ingredients except for the carrots, apple, raisins, and walnuts (mashing the banana beforehand) and mix until a smooth batter forms. Finally, fold in the remaining 4 ingredients.
*** Begin by storing the muffins in a sealed container, and if you find that they get a little too moist or sticky when they’re completely covered, leave them open or partially open.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Keywords: morning glory, muffins, flourless, gluten-free, healthy, recipe, snack, breakfast, vegan