For the cake:
- 1/2 cup (40 g) oats, gluten-free if needed
- 1/2 cup (115 g) plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (64 g) almond butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100 g) coconut palm sugar*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the frosting:
Make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare an 8 x 8 (20 x 20 cm) baking pan by lining it with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Set aside.
- Add the oats to a high-speed blender and process on high until they have broken down into the consistency of a fine flour, about 10 seconds.** Add the remaining cake ingredients and process on high until the batter becomes smooth.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan, using a spatula to distribute it evenly. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting:
- Add all of the frosting ingredients to a medium-sized bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and, using your stand or hand mixer, mix on high until all the ingredients are well combined and smooth.
- When the cake is completely cool, use a knife or spatula to spread the frosting on top of it.
- Store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
* You can also use brown sugar.
** Alternatively, you can replace the oats with 1/3 cup (40 g) of oat flour and mix everything by hand in a large bowl. Just whisk the dry ingredients together, then add all the remaining ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms.
*** If the frosting isn’t sweet enough for you, add another tablespoon of maple syrup. If it’s sweet enough but you want it thinner, add almond milk one tablespoon at a time before desired consistency is reached.
To make this cake nut-free, replace the almond butter in both the cake and frosting with soy nut butter.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Keywords: easy, chocolate, sheet cake, gluten-free, dessert, snack, Greek yogurt, recipe