- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings such as: shredded cheese, green onions, chives, salsa, avocado, ketchup, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Wash and dry your sweet potatoes, and prick them all over with a fork before placing them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and baking for 1 hour, or until soft and tender. Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.*
- Slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving about a half-inch border around the skin intact. Transfer flesh to a bowl and save for future use.
- Reduce oven heat to 350F.
- Crack 1 egg into each sweet potato half. Season with salt, pepper, and shredded cheese (if desired). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes, until white has set. If you like your yolks runnier, start watching them at 12 minutes and remove when desired level of doneness is reached.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice.
* You can also do this ahead of time and simply skip to step 2 when you’re ready to enjoy your stuffed sweet potato. I like to bake up a big batch of potatoes so that they’re ready to go when I need them.
Nutritional info calculated without optional toppings.
Keywords: baked eggs, dinner, easy dinner, gluten-free, healthy, lunch, quick & easy, sweet potatoes, vegetarian