For the pancakes:
- 1/4 cup (60 g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (40 g) rolled oats*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large egg whites OR 1 large egg
- 1–2 Tbsp (15–30 ml) unsweetened almond milk**
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
For the chocolate drizzle:
- 1 1/2 tsp (3 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) maple syrup
- small splash of almond milk
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and generously coat it with cooking spray or oil. You want to make sure that it’s nice and hot before you start cooking your pancakes.
- Add all the pancake ingredients except for the coconut to a blender in the order listed and blend on high until the oats have fully broken down and the batter is smooth and slightly frothy. Stir in the shredded coconut by hand, and allow the batter to sit for a few minutes so that it has a chance to thicken up while you make the chocolate drizzle.
- To make the drizzle, combine the cocoa powder and maple syrup in a small bowl and do your best to mix it together. Add a small (1-2 tsp) splash of almond milk and continue to stir until the ingredient begin to come together and the mixture becomes smooth. If it’s too thin, add a little bit of extra cocoa powder. If it’s too thick, add a tiny bit of almond milk. Adjust until it’s the consistency you want and set aside.
- Pour the batter straight from the blender onto the skillet until desired size of pancakes is reached. Cook the pancakes until the edges have set and bubbles begin to form on the tops. Using a spatula, flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.*** Repeat until all the batter is gone, making sure to coat your skillet again with oil between each batch.
- To assemble, spread or stack the pancakes on your plate, drizzle with chocolate sauce, top with additional coconut and/or slivered almonds, and enjoy!
* Make sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you need these to be gluten-free. ** Start with 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of almond milk and only add a second if you feel the batter is too thick. *** If you find that you’re having a hard time getting the insides of the pancakes to fully cook, cover your skillet with a lid while they cook.
Keywords: almond joy, breakfast, gluten-free, Greek yogurt, healthy, oatmeal pancakes, pancakes, recipe