- 2 medium-size acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tsp (10 ml) coconut oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (~110 g)
- 1 medium-size apple, peeled, cored, and diced (~130 g)
- 1 cup (115 g) prepared quinoa
- ¼ cup (40 g) dried cranberries
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Daiya Cheddar Style Slices
- Preheat your oven to 400F (204C) and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it with oil.
- Place the squash halves, cut side down, on the baking sheet and bake for 30 – 40 minutes, or until the halves are tender and golden brown around the edges.
- While the squash roasts, prepare the stuffing. Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions once the oil is nice and hot. Decrease the heat and continue cooking until the onions have turned golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent burning. Add the diced apple and continue cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa, cranberries, and salt. Set aside.
- Once the squash is done, turn each piece cut side up on the baking sheet and fill it with stuffing. Top with one Daiya Slice (either whole or sliced) and return to the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Allow the squashes to cool a bit and serve warm.
Keywords: apples, cheezy, dairy-free, Daiya, plant based, quinoa, Slices, stuffed squash, vegan