Hearty, healthy, dense, moist, and naturally sweet. What more could you ask for? You would never be able to tell that this recipe is relatively guilt-free, but that’s exactly how you should enjoy it.
Ingredients (makes one 9 x 5 loaf)
- 1¼ cup spelt flour (can sub with whole wheat)
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 3 medium, ripe bananas (about 1½ cups mashed)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. coconut butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF, and lightly grease a 9 x 5 bread pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking soda/powder, spices, salt, and ground flax). Stir until well combined, and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, roughly mash up the bananas with a fork, leaving some chunks in tact.
- Add the Greek yogurt and maple syrup to the mashed bananas, stirring until combined.
- Using a microwave or toaster oven (and an oven-safe dish), melt the coconut butter and add it to the banana mixture, stirring until fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir gently. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely.